Wendy Verna started Octo, a Certified Women’s Business Enterprise in 1991. Octo has been an award-winning company for business philosophy/results as well as earned national and local recognition for community service. Wendy was responsible for installation of the first outdoor wireless area in Philadelphia. Wendy has served on the Board of Directors as vice- chair of the South Street Headhouse District from 2006-2011 where she led community and business representatives to aid in revitalization efforts of the neighborhood. Octo, led by Wendy was also a key player in the success of the Glaxo-Smith Kline HIV Know Now Campaign that began in Philadelphia and spanned through four additional markets to include Houston, Miami, Dallas, and Philadelphia. This campaign catered to Latino, African American, and Asian demographics and required Wendy to work with a series of language translators to ensure correct dialect and translation. Octo was named as one of Philadelphia Top 100 Fastest Growing Privately-Held Companies in 2001 and again in 2005
Wendy is a seasoned and creative marketing pro with multi-disciplined design experience and leadership allowing her to guide clients through the process of marketing their products/brands with attention and ease.
Wendy runs her marketing and design department which blends traditional design with modern technology. She has expertise in identifying problems and creating marketing and advertising solutions. Wendy excels in the interview of clients to better understand their marketing and advertising needs and goals. Wendy has experience in illustration, mural art, identity packages, marketing materials and advertising – basically having her hands in all aspects of the commercial art and communication business. Wendy specializes in marketing strategies, defining and redefining images including designing logos, brochures, social media campaigns, postcards, direct mail materials, invitations, signage, banners, folders, interactive CDs, websites, annual reports, catalogues, welcome packages and more.
Moore College of Art and Design, Philadelphia, PA 1986 – 1990
Philadelphia, PA. Bachelor of Fine Arts
Temple University- Tyler School of Art 1987-1989
Rome, Italy. Graphic Design and Illustration
• Board member of EducationWorks
• Board member if the Italy America Business Council and Network
• Vice Chair of South Street Headhouse District-2005-2008
• Octo Design Group, Inc. is a WBE, Women’s Business Enterprise National Council.
• Member of the Metropolitan Regional Council Carpenters Union Local 8
• Member of FANO-Preferred Partner-Florida Association of Non-profits
• 2001 and 2005 ranked as one of the Philadelphia 100 by Wharton Small Business Development Center and
Philadelphia Business Journal.
• Awarded design and production of the National Constitution Centers First annual report including the Capital Campaign Report. Octo was successful in getting both paper and printing donated so this large non-profit could be justly represented.
• Responsible for installation of the first outdoor wireless area in Philadelphia. Octo Design Group thought of the most beneficial area, arranged the vendor meeting between Comcast and T-Mobile and was instrumental in putting the deal together and then ultimately to a close.
• 2006 CreateAthon participant in a national 24-hour creative blitz focused on benefiting non-profit organizations.
• 2007 to present, South Street Streetscape board member working with Commerce Department on new revitalization project.
• Responsible for the conception, production and design of the 20,000 circulated South Street Beat newspaper, the official voice of South Street
• Committee Chair, South Street Neighborhood Outreach Committee, led the conception, production and design of the Welcome Directory and the Welcome Program for new residents in the area.
• Design, concept and installation of South Street Business District Banners
• Member of The Professional Women’s Roundtable Philadelphia Region
• Member of the National Association of Professional Women (NAPW)